Avalanche Skills Training: Level 2 (AST 2)
The NEXT Level…AST 2
A 4 day AST 2 avalanche course is for AST 1 graduates who are looking to increase their knowledge and build a solid foundation for safe winter travel. Course focus is on traveling in terrain!
Topics include: route finding and travel techniques appropriate to avalanche conditions, advanced companion rescue, verification strategies for local scale Avalanche Danger Ratings, and recreational avalanche risk management techniques.
Did you find the AST 1 did not answer all your questions? Do you spend the majority of your time riding in avalanche prone terrain? This course is for you!
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Be familiar with Avalanche Danger Ratings and verification techniques for personal use on a local scale.
- Be familiar with the Avalanche Terrain Exposure Scale technical model, as a means to develop personal, local terrain ratings.
- Use / demonstrate snowmobile terrain route finding to manage personal risk.
- Use travel techniques in avalanche terrain appropriate to the avalanche conditions.
- Proficiently carry out companion rescue.
- Participants must have completed an Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 within the last 5 years.
- Participants must be at least 19 years of age or be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Participants must have Intermediate to Advanced backcountry snowmobile riding ability. If found not capable to ride in conditions and terrain, student may be asked to leave group without refund.
- Participants must have your own mountain capable snowmobile and related transportation, safety and maintenance equipment – rental equipment may be available
- You must be proficient & consistent with your transceiver skills (there will not be a lot of time spent on teaching you how to use your beacon in this course – you are expected to come with those skills)
$700 / student + GST Does not Include Trail Fees
- Transciever, Probe, Shovel, Backpack
- Sledding in Avalanche Terrain (AST 1 Manual) ($12)
- AVALUATOR (booklet and card) ($15)
- Snow Saw or folding bush saw (greater than 30cm)
- To be supplied – Decision Making in Avalanche Terrain (Field Book)
- Digital beacon
- Probe with measurement increments (min 3 metres)
- Pre reading of – Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain – Book – Bruce Tremper ($25)
- Snow Crystal Screen
- Loupe (8-10x magnification)
- Rustch block cord or thin diameter rope (8 m length)
This course has limited space! Pre-screening is required – APPLICANTS please contact AMBER at TRIGGER POINT – online registration is not available until after Pre-screening.
2017/2018 Pre assigned dates:
Avalanche Skills Training Level 2 (AST 2) 4 days
LOCATION DATE COST
Revelstoke, BC January 4-7, 2018 $700
Revelstoke, BC February 1-4, 2018 $700
Powered by Appointment-Plus