Students enrolling in the Avalanche Companion Rescue course will update and improve upon search and rescue abilities learned in the Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 course. This course is suitable for anyone who is recreating in avalanche terrain. The Companion Rescue Course can be taken as a refresher on a yearly basis to ensure that rescue skills are continually kept up to date.
The one day Companion Rescue Refresher will train students to:
- Consider preventative measures
- Analyze transceiver functions
- Apply search and rescue techniques
- Identify Post Incident Considerations
- It is recommended that course participants have completed an Avalanche Skills Training Level 1, this is NOT an AST 1 Refresher.
- Students must be well practiced with their equipment and be familiar with multiple burial functions.
- Students must be 18 years of age or older to participate in the Companion Rescue Course.
- (Max # of students = 12 / session Sign up early)
Format and Activities:
Course content in comprised of 100% practical application and fieldwork and will be conducted over a minimum of 7hrs in one day. Field activities will include demonstrations, problem solving, small group work and simulations.
Equipment and Materials:
Participants will be required to bring the following essential equipment (Click here to learn more about essential equipment):
- Appropriate winter clothing and footwear
- Transceiver (3 antenna recommended)
- Backpack to carry everything on your back
$190 / student + GST