The Managing Avalanche Terrain (M.A.T.) is a field-based course designed to expand on the terrain management theory taught in the AST 1 course. The course focus is on developing decision making and winter backcountry travel skills. It will also give you a taste for the more advanced AST 2.
- Recognize and classify avalanche terrain
- Plan and prepare for a backcountry trip
- Demonstrate techniques to minimize risk when traveling in the backcountry
Course participants must have completed the Avalanche Skills Training Level 1. Students must be well practiced with their equipment and be 18 years of age or older, prior to enrolling in the Managing Avalanche Terrain Course.
Equipment and Materials:
Participants will be required to bring the following essential equipment (Click here to learn more about essential equipment):
- Appropriate winter clothing and footwear
- Transceiver (3 antenna recommended)
- Backpack to carry everything on your back
$190 / student + GST